Friday, July 1, 2016

One Hour #1

A good friend of mine decided to start a challenge on her blog. She calls it 'One Hour'. The idea is for you are to read the Bible one hour each day. It doesn't matter how much you read in that amount of time, just read for one hour a day. Unfortunately, this challenge was started almost two weeks ago, but I have been unable to participate until now. But I decided to take up the challenge today and begin reading through God's word. So here is my first post on what I've learned.
Today, I ended up reading through Genesis 1-10. These passages are about the beginning and institution of our world/universe. What really stuck out to me through it all is that over and over again God points out that "the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth" (Gen. 8: 21). This is devastating to humanity. "There is none righteous, not even one. There is none who understands; there is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; they have together become unprofitable; there is none who does good, no, not one." (Rom. 3:10-12) Because of our sin we will be eternally separated from God. There is no exception. I like to say that God is quarantined from sin. He cannot even have it near Him, and He especially cannot excuse it. Yet God from the very beginning had a plan of redemption for His people. "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head and you shall bruise His heel." (Genesis 3:15) This passage speaks about how Christ will be killed on the cross, yet He will conquer sin and death and rise from the grave three days later. By doing so, He will provide a way for all who He call to be saved. He would take on our punishment and give us His righteousness. Isn't that amazing?!
This is what I learned by reading for one hour today. Will you take the challenge with me? Will you take the time you would normally use to read another book and read the Bible for one hour a day? If you do, comment on my blog and tell me what you've learned. I would love to hear your thoughts.
May the Lord bless and keep you!
                                                                                                                                    ~Allison McCurdy

No comments:

Post a Comment